Sunday, December 2, 2012

24 Days of Christmas Reading

There have been loads of posts on Pinterest having to do with wrapping 24 of your favorite Christmas stories   to open each day leading up to Christmas Day.  I loved this idea and looked forward to starting this tradition with my two!

At first I was worried I wouldn't have 24 books to wrap.  I knew I had quite a few Christmas books, but 24 is a lot of books. Well I shouldn't have worried because after I  picked out my 24 favorites I still had more then enough to fill our bookshelves in our reading area!


And even more to bring to each child's room for bedtime stories!! Clearly, there isn't a shortage of Christmas books in this house - the result of 10 years in the elementary classroom and a mother who loves Christmas books!  However, if you don't have enough for this year - no worries, visit your local library and wrap their books.  Just be sure to unwrap and read them before they are due!

This year I simply wrapped each book - nothing fancy - and put them in a basket by our tree.


However, there are many ways to elaborate the wrapping.  I love A Matter of Memories wrapping below.  



At first I thought of adding a number to each book - but then decided against it. The only book that I care when it is read is The Night Before Christmas - which I don't have in the basket yet and won't put in until the end.  Adding a number would make it a great advent/Christmas Count Down Calendar!  How simple would that be?  Maybe next year I will be a bit more organized and will wrap each book, # them and then have a corresponding craft/ornament/activity to go with each book.  Guess I won't be wrapping them at nap time on December 1st if I go with that plan.

Here are the books I chose to use - I chose a mixture of  Christmas and religious books that are geared to the younger crowd.

1. How Santa Got His Job - Steve Krensky
2. Auntie Claus - Elise Primavera
3. The Christmas Cobwebs - Odds Bodkin
4. The Biggest Christmas Tree Ever - Steven Kroll
5. Tractor Mac Saves Christmas - Billy Steers
6. The Dog Who Found Christmas - Linda Jennings
7. This is the Stable - Cynthia Cotten
8. The Littlest Elf - Brandi Doughtery
9. J is for Jesus - Crystal Bowman
10. The Story of Aloha Bear - Dick Adair
11. Llama Llama Holiday Drama - Anna Dewdney
12. Pockets Christmas Wish - Ann Bonwill
13. Merry Christmas Strega Nona - Tomie dePaola
14. The Pinetree Parabel - Liz Higgs
15. Polar Express - Chris Van Allsburg
16. I've Seen Santa by David Bedford
17. Thomas' Christmas Delivery
18.Auntie Claus And the Key to Christmas - Elise Primavera
19.Snowmen at Christmas - Caralyn Buehner
20. Arthur's Christmas - Marc Brown
21. The Spirit of Christmas - Nancy Tillman
22.Corduroy's Christmas Surprise- Don Freeman
23.Once There Was a Christmas Tree - Jerry Smath
24. Twas the Night Before Christmas - Clement Clark Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment