Monday, February 6, 2012

Ahern State Park Walk


Sunday was a beautiful day, bright blue skies and mild temperatures, a perfect day for a walk in the woods. This week we headed to Ahern State Park in Laconia. I wasn't feeling well ( massive head cold) but thought the time outdoors would help.

Of course, since I wasn't on my "A" game, my memory card for my camera was sitting in my computer at home while the camera was out with me on the walk, UGH, so no pictures.

Ahern is located on Lake Winnasquam with a nice beach, but no other amenities.
We went with one of OWL's best buddies and his parents, both Laconia natives who knew the trails. However I did find this great trail map here. We walked the Fire Road down to the Lake Point and then took Pipe Line back to the parking lot. It was an easy walk - covered in snow, but icy in many places. The boys loved looking for signs of animals as well as sightings of the lake through the trees. From start to finish, with lots of curiosity stops, it took us about 1 hour and 1o minutes round trip.

It was just what we needed to get us out of the house on a Sunday afternoon: close by, not too difficult, and fun for OWL. And surprisingly for me, I felt much better after a good dose of clean country air!

No comments:

Post a Comment