Monday, June 4, 2012

In the Kitchen - Banana Bread


I love authentic learning experiences - experiences that are practical and fun!  The Owl LOVES to cook with me. I think this is because he really is turning into a foodie - he truly enjoys food.  Or maybe he enjoys food, because he helps me in the kitchen.  Either way, it is a great way to spend quality time with your child while teaching him a life skill, working on fine motor skills ( smashing, pouring, mixing), numeracy skills ( counting and measuring) and building up their self-esteem.  It really is a win/win for child and parent alike.


The Owl and I cook together many times a week.  This morning we made banana bread.  We use this simple recipe with a few modifications: I reduce the sugar by half or use agave syrup, also I always add oat bran or flax seed, but please don't tell my DH they are included.





This morning we were able to practice our pouring and mashing skills.  We also counted our cups of flour.  The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup flour.  I have my flour in a large glass jar and I can only fit a 1/4 cup scoop inside.  I told Owl we would need 6 of these scoops.  I handed him the first scoop and said, "that is one" to which he replied, " now we need 5 more, right mama?"  WOW - talk about an authentic way to introduce addition/subtraction! 




Ready for the oven.  This recipe, in particular, is a great lesson for patience and time management.



60 minutes later and you have the best banana bread ever - especially made with love! 




Of course, the best part of cooking is being able to do some taste testing! 



And there you have it folks - the Owl gives this recipe two thumbs up! 



No comments:

Post a Comment